Friday, September 16, 2011

Friends uplift the soul




When did I get a social life? In high school, I didn't go to town every weekend and cruise with my friends. In college, I didn't have dates. During my first marriage, I had my ex-husband's family and very few friends. But today, my friend Lisa called me and had a list of things she wanted to invite me to! Now, don't get me wrong, I've had invites from friends before, but this afternoon, as I was telling Hubby about her call, he said to me, "You're quite the social butterfly, aren't you?". I stopped. And then I thought. In the past year, I have had to actually start using my "calendar" feature on my iPod Touch in order to keep up with everything I'm involved in. Every time someone calls me and inquires about a certain date, I have to say, "Let me get my calendar."

So, what's changed? In all honesty, not too much, but on the other hand, a lot. And I have to give Lisa quite a bit of the credit. Her infectious enthusiasm for life has changed me. She and I have started a twice-a-month knitting group at the local quilt shop that I frequent. I have invested in a line of yarn, in said quilt shop, and my little side business is doing pretty well (the cooler weather is helping). And another friend and I are in the process of setting up a retreat for a group of women, us included, that sew/quilt/knit together on a regular basis.

Just a few short years ago, I was very depressed. Hubby worried about me and I was even worried for myself. After infertility treatments, a failed adoption and turning 40 (my self-imposed cut-off age for having kids), I was a mess. The quilt shop saved me! And I mean that literally. This awesome group of women embraced me and included me and pulled me out of my depression. I found my niche. Now, again, someone has come into my life and has pushed (pulled) me into not just participating in my life, but actively living it. Oh, what a feeling!

1 comment:

Lisa McB said...

Aw Becky, you don't realize how much you changed my life! You pushed me at a time when I scared (more like terrified) of meeting new people and now I feel like I have a whole new set of friends thanks to you! I'm loving our new friendship and can't wait to spend more time with you! xoxox Lisa